twitter google-plus facebook instagram pinterest Rechercher triangle-down Femme Actuelle Les Testeuses Hellocoton Mon compte
Vous êtes sur la partie communautaire de Beauté Addict : Le Blog de Danaefiona

publié le 14 février 2018 Beauté › Bien-être

I tried the Asus C720 Chromebook on a train tethered to an iPhone 4S – that was the easy part. Getting frozen out of my typing on Google Docs every time the train went through a tunnel and the signal was lost was tiresome to say the least. Of course, there is an offline mode, which takes care of this, but you have to be online first to engage it, which doesn’t seem too well thought out.But hey, here I am in a café I’ve never been to before in a part of the UK I rarely visit and I’m back online and everything is tickety-boo, all for the price of cuppa, guvnor. While this scenario is hardly news, I’ve typically taken the mobile route for online on-foot capers, and offline tablet touchscreen typing for when the muse strikes.Peak Microsoft According to two different web-analytics groups – NetMarketShare and StatCounter – Windows' market share has dropped to below 90 per cent for the first time since the mid 1990s and the juggernaut that was Windows 95.As SeekingAlpha reports, NetMarketShare calculates that Windows' market share – that's all versions of Windows from XP onward for laptops and desktops – dipped to 89.96 per cent this month. StatCounter is only slightly more pessimistic, reporting an 89.22 per cent share for the same operating systems and time period.

Apple' OS X remains far behind, but has topped 8 per cent for the first time in memory. NetMarketShare places its laptop and desktop market share at 8.16 per cent; StatCounter says that OS X has an 8.34 market share.The Mac's figures are nothing that Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella will lose sleep over any time soon, but the trend lines for both Windows and OS X are certainly something that should catch his attention. Just six years ago, for example, the Mac's market share was a mere 3.75 per cent, and as SeekingAlpha points out, at the turn of the millenium it was even lower: 2.84 per cent.Before you ask, according to StatCounter's figures, Linux's market share stood at 0.62 per cent as 2008 came to a close, and has risen to 1.76 per cent as of this month.

What all these numbers and their resultant trend lines portend, of course, is opinion and speculation – so permit a bit from your humble Reg reporter, then you can chime in by clicking on the Comments button below.While most companies would kill for a market share hovering around 90 per cent, no market domination is eternal – especially in a market that's changing as rapidly as the PC market is today. While Microsoft will likely continue to rule both the desktop and laptop markets for the foreseeable future, the former is sclerotic and the latter is being attacked by tablets – and even by the surprising (to us, at least) popularity of Chromebooks.As the StatCounter stats show, the market shares of both Windows 8 and Windows 7 have leveled off. Microsoft is not forthcoming about the sales of its Surface 2 and Surface 2 Pro, but even a cursory stroll through the Starbucks of the world doesn't exactly demonstrate the they're becoming the laptop/tablet of choice of the next generation.There's far more to Microsoft than Windows, of course. Microsoft the company is more than holding its own in other areas such as its server software, online services and gaming, and even its business (Office) offerings.

On the desktop and laptop operating system side, however, and in the skyrocketing mobile device market, Microsoft is a giant with a giant problem. Unless it manages to reinvent its approach to those markets soon, it may very well slip into — here comes a $20 word – caducity, which my dictionary defines as "the infirmity of old age; frailty or a transitory nature."That is, of course, not an observation that required a tremendous amount of savvy. Pulling Windows out of its long, slow slide into senility, however, will.Hands on Microsoft’s Windows 8.1 Update 1 – with pain relief for those suffering from “customer satisfaction issues” – is widely expected to be released in early April.It'll probably coincide with the Build developer conference starting on 2 April. This spring update has already gone to computer manufacturers to install on their new machines, and in the last few days it has leaked out on the internet – meaning anyone who wants it can pull it off the Microsoft servers without waiting.

• Acer Aspire 7730ZG laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 7735Z laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 8730G laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 8730ZG laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 8920 laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 8920G laptop battery
  • Acer Extensa 7230 laptop battery
  • Acer TravelMate 7730 laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 7736 laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 7736ZG laptop battery
  • Acer aspire 8930 laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 8942G laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 8935 laptop battery
  • Acer Extensa 5620Z laptop battery
  • Acer Extensa 7620G laptop battery
  • Acer TravelMate 5730 laptop battery
  • Acer TravelMate 5730G laptop battery
  • Acer TravelMate 6592 laptop battery
  • Acer TravelMate 6592G laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 5310 laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 5535 laptop battery

I’ve been giving it a try. The “satisfaction issues” addressed are intended to make life easier for users of non-touchscreen PCs who rely on the mouse and keyboard to get around.I prefer to use a Thinkpad X-series laptop when traveling and covering trade shows – such as Mobile World Congress 2014 in Barcelona last month – mainly due to the durability of the hardware.For this, Linux-powered Ubuntu 10.x used to do me fine, it's unfussy and unobtrusive and uses the PC’s resources well. That went out of the window when Ubuntu started smoking the Unity crack pipe. For longer documents, Word on Windows is simply a better tool than Word on any Mac. This all makes me the kind of “desktop and mouse user” Microsoft says it wants to make happier with 8.1 Update 1.

Microsoft has implemented many excellent optimisations within Windows during the past five years, distancing the operating system's kernel from the version in Windows 7 and Vista. But despite this under-the-hood work, Windows 8.x has proved highly disruptive to users, IT managers and the entire PC industry, largely due to the touchscreen-friendly user interface changes Microsoft forced upon people in 2012.There are a number of areas where Windows 8.x really caused problems. Familiar on-screen elements such as the pop-up Start Menu were removed. Secondly, software settings were scattered to the wind. Some disappeared altogether, some of the rest landed in a new Control Panel and others in apps; the older Control Panel remained. Another common "WTF!" provoker was printing: it seemed you couldn’t easily print from most Metro Modern apps. WTF?Fourthly, Windows 8 gave the user a shock when he or she flipped between traditional desktop applications and the elephantine new Modern apps and back again. This was a bit like reading a book in which random pages would be set in EXTRA LARGE TYPE – but you couldn’t read ahead to see when they were coming.

Finally, the Modern apps seemed anything but modern: they represented a step-down in functionality. Nobody could argue that the Mail app was anything like as functional as Vista Mail.For Windows tablet users, this wasn’t an issue – these users weren’t context switching, and didn’t need continuity. They still found settings hard to find. But it was the fourth - the limited Modern functionality – that was the killer. Since then Android scaled up well into low cost ‘slabs, while iPad apps are far more sophisticated. This left no reason to buy a Windows tablet. It was desktop users who had to shoulder the pain.At MWC in Barcelona last month, Joe Belfiori claimed that according to Microsoft’s own user testing: “Users of touch devices are more satisfied than users were with Windows 7. But users of Windows 8 on non-touch devices were in general a little less satisfied".

• Acer Aspire 5710 laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 5715Z laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 5720 laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 5720G laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 5730 laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 5730Z laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 5735Z laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 5920 laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 5920G laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 5930 laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 5930G laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 6530 laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 6530G laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 6920G laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 6930 laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 6930G laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 7535 laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 7730G laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 2920 laptop battery
  • Acer Aspire 3620 laptop battery
  • Acer TravelMate 6292 laptop battery
  • Acer TravelMate 6293 laptop battery

The Windows 8.1 Update 1 gives a better non-touch experience, more hardware options, better IE compatibility for education and enterprise users, and the hardware requirements and licensing has been tweaked.I found the UI changes are mainly small and subtle. More options are now available by right-clicking the mouse. Modern apps become Windowed Windows apps, bounded by traditional Windows conventions – they get a menu bar and close button. They also now appear on the Windows taskbar, although you can turn this off. They get a "live" preview thumbnail, just like in Windows 7, although this doesn’t work for all third party apps. The popular Tube app just shows its icon as a preview.The more useful shortcuts implemented in Windows 8, such as switching to the previous app, are retained. In Microsoft’s taxonomy, though, “everything legacy” is considered one app, and bunched together as the "Desktop". Overall, given a Windows 8 machine, I found that banishing Modern was the best way to retain sanity. If one installed Start8 or a free equivalent, it was possible to refrain from plunging into the Modern environment for weeks at a time. If there was a need to run a Modern app, it could be tamed using ModernMix, which "Windows-ised" the app.

I found with the Windows 8.1 Update 1, I could dispense with ModernMix, even though I lost the ability to run the Modern-style app in a Windows. However, I’ll probably opt to retain Start8 as it has extra conveniences, such as turning off Taskbar transparency and giving me right-click access to the Win-X menu. However inconsistencies remain. Users who preferred their window chrome to be dark, which is less distracting, have had to sacrifice legible title bar text since Windows 8 arrived. You cannot set the title bar text to be light against a black background. This is trivial, but it’s pretty silly.You still see a horizontal scroll bar on the Start screen, even when there’s nothing to scroll. Why? And the Start screen retains a button that does a quite baffling miniaturisation. I’m not sure why.Some things require not just tweaks, but proper design decisions, and these have been ducked in the Update. For example, tablet-friendly corner activation has been retained, but this results in a very ugly overlay when the Taskbar is docked on the left. Here you can see it attempting to draw the Win 8 style switcher – but failing. After a bit of mouse wiggling, it works, eventually.

Almost everything in this "Spring Update" is welcome – and it’s the most usable Win 8.x yet. But it doesn’t really do any spring cleaning. Windows 8.x is still a shotgun marriage of two different UIs, and while it’s easier to navigate around them, Microsoft doesn’t grasp the nettle, and show any sign of long-term planning. Metro Modern apps go on the taskbar, and get a little menu Yet the one outstanding problem – the fourth in the list above – hasn’t been solved by the tweaks, and will never be. This is that the Modern apps simply aren’t very good.Many, if not most, appear to have tumbled out of an industrial park in Malaysia. One or two do appear to come from a well-funded Western corporation with a history of design: Microsoft’s own Bing News looks quite slick. Nokia Mix Radio does what it says on the tin. Viewer-style apps do OK.

0 vote 0 commentaire

Partagez cet article

Réagissez à l'article de Danaefiona

Si vous avez un compte Addict, connectez-vous !

Sinon, utilisez simplement le formulaire ci-dessous pour déposer votre commentaire :

Votre pseudo *

URL de votre site ou blog

Votre commentaire *

Afficher les commentaires

D'autres articles pouvant vous intéresser :

Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 Battery www.all-laptopbattery.com

There’s also a 1.2GHz model with 512GB storage for £1,299.00, or you can step up to 1.3GHz for a total price of £1,419.00. Needless to say, though, user upgrades and repairs are out of the question. The RAM and solid-state drive are soldered onto the motherboard, resulting in a repairability...

Akku Lenovo ThinkPad SL410 akkus-shop.com

Aus China gibt es neue Hinweise, wonach Apple der MacBook Pro Retina-Serie in Kürze ein kleines Update spendieren wird. Ende April hatte Apple bereits sämtliche MacBook Air-Modelle mit den leicht schnelleren Intel Haswell-Prozessoren ausgerüstet und obendrein den Preis der Notebooks reduziert...

Akku HP HSTNN-IB32 www.akkus-laptop.com

Bitkom und PwC haben zudem aufgeschlüsselt, dass Leser nur einen Teil der E-Bücher über das Lesegerät erwerben. Während Bitkom von 24 Prozent ausgeht, sind es bei PwC 34 Prozent. Etwa 70 Prozent würden E-Bücher vor allem im Internethandel beziehen, so die Aussage beider Studien...

ASUS N73JF Battery www.all-laptopbattery.com

Next, if you want to access this quantum processor, you have to sign up for an account. Which means you must reach this page... ...and fill out an invitation request. If you hear back from IBM, you're in, presumably.IBM doesn't get it. It's not 2007 any more. The cloud today is on-demand computing...

Asus G53JW laptop battery www.dearbattery.co.uk

Janus remains something of a mystery. The god Janus had two faces, to look two ways at once, and it’s tempting to see that reflected in a concept machine able to succeed in both the business and the games markets - perhaps the way it had once been thought that the QL might go. Equally, and...

Beauté AddictBlogs B.A.Tous les Blogswww.portable-batteries.comAsus G53JW laptop battery www.dearbattery.co.uk